Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Luggage and Gifts

How do we possibly bring American gifts to hundreds of people with today's weight and luggage restrictions?

Selecting luggage for international flights has changed. Weight restrictions are now more important than protection. For our trip big duffel bags win over sturdy or stylish suitcases. Jerri and I are trying to figure out how to bring 283 Tet (Vietnam New Year's) gifts for the kids, 30 gifts for the teachers, gifts for the principal, and gifts for people we meet. We are settling on big duffel bags (and my daughter's hockey bag) filled with mini-beany babies, chocolate, toothbrushes, tootsie rolls, puppets and Valentine's Day crafts. Let's hope the kids like this motley assortment of Americana. (We will see!)

I have met with a number of people about social customs in Vietnam, protocol, business dress, business casual, and an assortment of dos and don't. I've gotten great travel advice from friends and family. I was able to get some contacts in Hanoi, Saigon and Singapore and will be bringing chocolate to the Vo relatives in Saigon. The language tapes which I burned at the library are on my computer waiting for hours of listening.

This now must be the hardest part of the journey: the anticipation, the checking and rechecking, and the gathering and stuffing. The advice has been sound, the equipment and supplies are organized, the Visa and Passports safely stowed. Now I wait to see what a 23 hour plane ride feels like. I can't imagine!

1 comment:

  1. What a great adventure you are going on and for such a wonderful cause - educating youth. I know those jitters of what to pack/wear/gift when going to a new country. Believe me! - it's the relationship building that will "seal the deal" when it comes to meeting new people. Your enthusiasm is obvious, skills quite evident and commitment genuine - everyone will love you.

    Be well and I look forward to your updates.
    Peace,
    Travel Girl

    ReplyDelete